It was predictable…

Thursday, May 28, 2015

It is a hot day, 86F (30C).

Yesterday, as John was performing  post-emerge herbicide applications, he discovered areas where there is not a “good stand” of soybeans.  These were areas of the Waldo, Steen Hill, Steimel, and Harvey farms where the soil was just too wet at the time I was planting.  Not whole fields, mind you, but smaller areas within fields.   Some soil types don’t dry out as rapidly as others.  Well, in those areas, the rain and cold temperatures post-planting proved to be too harsh for the seeds.  They did not survive to emerge.  The good news is that our Monsanto seed dealer is locating appropriate seeds for re-planting those areas.  That should arrive by midday, and I’ll spend the afternoon “patching in” soybeans among the “good stands” of soybeans in those locations.  The soils are in much better (dry surface) condition today.  It’s still May, and with a slightly shorter maturity of soybeans, these should be ripe and ready for harvest at the same time the original planted beans mature.

I used the Gator this morning to drive specifically on the spots to which John alerted me.  From that close range, I could make a determination how/where to go back today.  He is still spraying post-emerge Roundup/Warrant on soybeans, and he mentioned that he may get one corn field sprayed post-emerge today.  It’s a very good spraying day, with 85+ temps and low wind.

I guess I should not be surprised that some soybeans need to be replanted.   It is very rare when there is a year that doesn’t require just a little replant.  Most often it is a result of too much rain, flooding and drowning out the emerging soybeans.  This time it was wet and cold soil post-planting.  Still, it is not the vast number of acres that were lost in 2013 (800+) and required replanting!  So I’ll spend the afternoon once again in the JD 9330 with the no-till drill. That should wrap up replanting… unless too much rain creates flooding/ponding water over the next few weeks.

More good news:  the soybeans planted last Friday and Saturday at the Huey farm location are beginning to peek out of the ground!   When the temps get above 80F, it makes them pop right up!

We said our goodbyes to Philip early this morning, as he is traveling back to Portland, Oregon today.  It was good to have him home a few days.  As our sons get older and out on their own, the days when we have all the family together at once may become more rare.  We are grateful for this Memorial Day holiday that allowed us the privilege of some quality family time.  Ben will be departing in early June for his new position as a pilot for Republic Airlines.   My, how time marches on…

Keep cool out there!

.. and a nice inch of rain would be welcome…

This entry was posted in Family Life, Planting and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply