Wednesday, October 8, 2014
There are many rainy days in the forecast beginning tomorrow. Therefore, even though we did not have ideal conditions, we went off to the corn field this morning at Burke. The soil conditions were a little muddy, but we forged ahead anyway. We finished off the Burke place, and then moved to Huey. We stayed with corn until about 230 pm, and then we went across the dirt road to check if we could harvest in the soybean field. This was where we were rained out last Thursday evening, just hours from the end. We cut from 3pm to 5pm, and got that field of soybeans done! That finishes off all the early-planted soybeans! A small number acres of replanted soybeans (<25) plus the double-crop soybeans (DCB)remain to be harvested…those are not ripe and ready just yet.
After the soybeans were done, we put our corn heads back on the combines, and returned to harvesting corn. We stayed with it until about 930 pm. It was a good and productive day… even though we had some muddy conditions. The JD 9360R tractor and the Demco grain cart are showing that we had mud today, but I’ve seen worse.
The weather forecast says rain for the next several days. Let’s hope the weather folks have it wrong! Sunny days will return, and if the DCB are ready, we’ll go get ’em!